[Wolves] Anyone a citizen of loverly?

Kelly, Martin Martinkelly at wlv.ac.uk
Mon Sep 12 18:12:17 BST 2005

Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005 12:31:43 +0100
From: Stuart Langridge <sil at kryogenix.org>
Subject: Re: [Wolves] Anyone a citizen of loverly?
To: Wolverhampton Linux User Group <wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk>

> > Look, no system is perfect, capitism is the best of
> > the worse.

(Hmm, probably get a hammering,but here goes).
Seeing that you mispelt capitalism also reminds me that entrepreneurs like to leave out the li.  The big problem of course is that a lot of the poorer countries DO practise capitalism as an economic system, they're just not very good at it.
this is because capitalism isn't about a free market (so in an earlier post when you mention capitalism and free market in the same sentence, it somewhat made me titter).
 If they practised some kind of import controls they would do better, if they regulated their markets they would do better, if their officials weren't so easily bought by big companies they would do better, if they had access to the sofisticated tools of mass production they would do better, but they don't.  After centuries of robbing poorer countries of their raw materials to make goods here, capitalists are now getting the idea that they can make more profits by moving their factories there ( wherever there happens to be).
 with the further movement of jobs abroad the rising price of energy and transportation, it may be that capitalism may soon not be in our interests for very much longer.
The other opinion voiced of self regulation, no leaders, also has, I'm afraid to say, the problems that poorer countries face, that is that, there is no protection from bully boys with big armies. I must say I would prefer anarchy, in it's ideal form, to capitalism, as a true free market would flourish under such a system, but there would always be elements out to destroy it.
Is this not equivalent to the open source ethos? where we offer help and software with no thought of, ( or maybe just a little occasionally) personal gain. with monolithic corporations trying to close down such philanthropic enterprise it seems obvious that the better system is not capitalism i.e the accumulation of capital, but one which protects communities and acknowledges human beings true worth.
Any one fancy a pint?
Mart.