[Wolves] Networking stuff.

Andy Wootton andy.wootton at wyrley.demon.co.uk
Thu Sep 15 21:19:10 BST 2005

Adam Sweet wrote:

>>Have quite a few Ethernet Adapter cards.  Some have
>>me what looks like a TV-out Arieal and some not.  I
>>need to keep some though.
>>

>The ones with the arial things are 10Mb ISA 3Com
>Etherlink cards, I gave Bobby some PCI 100Mb D-Link
>cards also. Both work under Linux. The arial things
>are BNC connectors for co-axial cable, you don't need
>to worry about them these days, it's how things were
>done in the dark ages.

... or at my house on half my network now! My hub has a BNC socket so I
left my old boxes running at 10Mb/s on that. 'Thin-wire' Ethernet is
actually easier and cheaper because you don't need a hub; just
(different) cable and a terminator at each end.

Even if you use a hub then if the cards are BNC and UTP you may need to
change the default connector. This usually requires a DOS utility. If
anyone knows otherwise, please speak up.

Woo