[Wolves] Network stuff.

Simon Morris mozrat at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 22:18:48 BST 2005

On 9/20/05, David Morley <davmor2 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Okay people I have a basic network set up, thanks to list donated
> hardware I have set up smoothwall firewall/router on one box.  I have
> Win98 left on a box so I can setup samba client/server (but am in need
> of an old AT mouse rectangle shape connector, thought I had one).  I
> have Ubuntu on the other three for now.
>
> Basically what I would like to know, is does anyone know of a good but
> relatively basic tutorial I could follow in order to set up nfs/samba
> and cups and lamp server and a mail server?  most of the ones I've
> found seem to need a degree to comprehend.  What I would like to do is
> basicall set up a share folder on all the machines and swap files
> around within the network.

Well my advice here is mountain to climb at a time... they are all
different types of server so don't lump them together and try to learn
them in one lump.

Next choice is to decide are you going to use distro supplied GUI
tools to manage the services, web based ones (webmin) or are you going
to get down and dirty with the config files.

I would recommend the config files - it's a steeper learning curve but
you will learn much more about your server. Plus your learning curve
is a lot shallower with help from the list etc

So.. get to grips with nano or vi (text editors) and start by reading
/etc/samba/smb.conf (might be different on your distro)... use
comments to document what you find within the file and test it.

If you back up your config file you can't break it that badly.

Thanks

~sm