[Wolves] Re: Lamp server smoothwall

Simon Morris mozrat at gmail.com
Thu Sep 22 15:40:16 BST 2005

On 9/22/05, David Morley <davmor2 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think I have set up my lamp server but I can't access it.  On my
> smoothwall box, I have setup port forwarding to the ip address of the
> box that is running the server, I have set source port to 80 on and
> destination port to 80 and I have set up the external services to
> accept tcp on port 80 and udp on port 80.  Yet when I do a port scan
> from http://www.hackerwatch.org/probe/ the port 80 is secure.
> WHY???????

>From an IPCop point of view (and I think SW too) "External Services"
refer to services running on the firewall box itself.

You aren't running a web server on the SW box on TCP:80 so you should
disable or delete the external service rules for that port and leave
the port forwarding entry

You would (for example) enable SSH as an external service or the
alternate HTTP port that SW uses for it's webadmin as an external
service

Make sense?

~sm