[Wolves] Ok now i'm slightly worried.

chris procter chris-procter at talk21.com
Fri Sep 23 13:45:42 BST 2005

Ports are basically addresses for specific
applications on your machine, so when a message
arrives from the network the operating system knows
which application it should be given to to deal with.
They are numbers between 0-65536. By convention
certain standard ports are used for standard
applications, so port 80 is used for web servers. So
assuming your machine has the IP address 192.168.0.1
when a message arrives from the network for
192.168.0.1 port 80 your operating system will
recognise that the message is for it and pass the it
to the webserver running on your machine.

Ports are TCP part of TCP/IP

A firewall is configured to reject certain port/ip
combinations and pass others through, so a firewall
set up to block 192.168.0.1 port 80 will reject
messages sent to your webserver.

A port scan will probe the ports your firewall allows
connections to and report wether they are blocked, or
if they are open, but there is no application
responding, or if they are open and accepting
connections. Just because a port scan tells you a port
is opened doesn't mean its a bad thing, if you want to
receive connections to a services on your machine you
need the ports open (if you're running a webserver you
want people to be able to connect to it), but if you
dont then they should be closed on the firewall.

As rule of thumb if you dont know what a service does
then close the port, you should be able to do this
through your firewalls management software. All
firewalls can block all ports its just a question of
how you configure them,

Your firewall appears to come pre-configured with
certain ports open which is what the portscan is
detecting. Unless you are running a server of some
kind I would sugest you close them all, you dont need
any of them open if you are just running a desktop
machine.

Phew that was longer then it was meant to be.

chris