[Wolves] usenet server

Wayne Morris wayne at machx.co.uk
Wed Sep 28 14:18:35 BST 2005

Ron Wellsted wrote:

> On Wed, 28 Sep 2005, Andy Wootton wrote:
>
>> My memory matched Simon's description of NNTP being a 'push' protocol
>> like SMTP. How long has POP-News been around? Does it do everything
>> or just download the headers and is it as efficient? Given the
>> staggering amount of traffic (mainly spam now) on Usenet I'd have
>> thought clobbering a server to feed you, without the site's agreement
>> was anti-social. I'm not talking about Roundyz' single group here but
>> the general situation. If I'd decided I could handle 10GB (or
>> whatever) download traffic a day but another 10 people decided to
>> upload a combined 100GB, I'd be a bit miffed.
>>
>> Woo
>>

> Leafnode works like an offline proxy.  When fetchnews is run, it
> downloads all new messages in the subscribed groups and posts any
> messages you have sent.  A daily task expires any old messages.  Every
> few days it checks if the upstream server has added/removed any groups.
>
> I have been running it now for about 7 or 8 years.
>
> - -- Ron Wellsted

Can it handle multiple servers for getting different groups, ie groups A
and B from Server 1, groups C and D from Server 2 etc?
I've always meant to run a news-server but would need it to pull
articles from different groups on three different servers, and present
them all in one pane
as if they were all from the same server. Also, when replying to groups
it would obv need to know which server to send it to, and ideally allow
a different identity for each group/server.