[Wolves] MS tightens the screw

Kevanf1 kevanf1 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 7 10:42:00 BST 2006

On 07/04/06, Peter Cannon <peter at cannon-linux.co.uk> wrote:

> The big mistake we all make is allowing situations to happen in the first
> place, ultimately, its a reverse type of greed, I for one am very worried
> about Dell not just from a business point of view, yes they are killing the
> white box builders, but more importantly the market share they have.
>
> It is exactly the same business strategy that Microsoft have. End users are
> running around slapping each other on the back saying "Cor aren't I clever I
> only paid 27p for this super server" yes you are clever, yes you did get it
> cheaper, yes you got a bargain but! what happens in two or three years time
> when the only choice you have or feel you have is Dell and they have put the
> price up or put some other restriction in place to hopefully make you stay
> with them? isn't that what a lot of businesses are saying about MS? "We don't
> have a choice"

This is the exact same situation in many industries.  In the
background a small number of hidden influential (extremely powerful
and rich) conglomerations are buying up the smaller independents.
Just the same as Microsoft have been doing 'quietly' for the last
couple of years with security software companies.  Once they have
control these small independent firms products are swallowed up into
the bigger whole 'end' product.

It sounds very conspiracy theory but it is happening.  I'll look at
something that is computer related.  Where did Cadbury start out?
Making and selling refined cocoa in various forms.  Now look at them.
They are part of a major international food conglomeration.  Bringing
it back to computing this is what Microsoft have, and are still doing.
 As Peter says, Dell are doing the sell it cheap thing.  Next (if they
haven't already) they start to acquire the smaller PC builders.
Xmas may be over but,  PLEASE DON'T drink and drive you'll make it to
the next one that way.

Kevan Farmer

Linux user #373362

Cheslyn Hay