[Wolves] OT:Bill Gates the modern day Robin Hood?

Simon Morris mozrat at gmail.com
Tue Apr 11 23:09:14 BST 2006

On 11/04/06, Kevanf1 <kevanf1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On another mailing list that I have subscribed to for years there is
> an ongoing argument.  Argument because I totally disagree with the
> other short sighted idiots who think Bill Gates is the modern day
> messiah/Robin Hood/other saintly figure.  Why?  Because Billy boy has
> donated x billion dollars to a charity.  It's getting to the stage
> where I may unsubscribe from that mailing list, I don't want to but
> this is really getting to me.
>
> So, any arguments I can use to show that BG and co. are not so saintly
> would be greatly received.  I have tried the strings attached one and
> the wonderful donations of MS software that then locks in many third
> world users to Microsoft.  These other guys just don't see it.  Their
> argument is that it's worth the strings to have billions poured into
> this charity.  I'm sorry but I totally disagree.  To me it's like the
> criminal drug barons funding a drug rehab clinic while still peddling
> their wares and causing a vicious circle.
>
> Or have I got it wrong?

Bill Gates private charity donations are different to Microsoft
corporate donations.

His work in finding a cure for HIV and his other private charitable
ventures are to be applauded IMO (and why not - he has more money than
he could possibly spend in his lifetime)

Microsofts donations of software to developing countries could be
viewed in two ways - I think you are correct to be debating your side
of the argument. Giving software to developing countries is an
admirable intention (This was one of the reasons behind Ubuntu,
right?) but then following that up a year later with chargable
bills... The thought of countries spending thousands of US dollars on
software when the average person earns a dollar a day makes me feel
queezy (and very fat)

Rgds
--
~sm