[Wolves] Ubuntu Dapper disk drive problem

Alex Willmer alex at moreati.org.uk
Fri Apr 14 21:16:35 BST 2006

On Fri, 2006-04-14 at 17:48 +0100, Mark Ellse wrote:
> I've never used the floppy drive with Ubuntu. But I've just set up two
> Ubuntu machines for my own children. My son stored some documents on the
> floppy of an old Red Hat linux. But when I had installed Ubuntu Dapper
> beta 6, there was no floppy drive. Tried the same with a spare machine
> at school and it can't mount the floppy drive. When I double click on
> the floppy icon (Floppy 1) it says "Unable to mount the selected floppy
> drive". More details gives 'could not determine the file system type and
> none was specified". If I right click the floppy icon and select
> Properties, it tells me that it has 3.6 G free space!
>
> Any hints?

Unless something is wrong in the kernel, you should be able to mount the
floppy from the command prompt:

sudo mount -t vfat /dev/fd0 /media/floppy

It will ask you for your password, provide it. When mounted a window
should popup with the contents of the disk, if not then open Places >
Computer and navigate to /media/floppy.

Once you've retrieved the files in question, close any windows showing
files on the disk & unmount the disk with:

sudo umount /dev/fd0

Regards, Alex