[Wolves] Hardware problem

Kevanf1 kevanf1 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 29 16:52:47 BST 2006

Help!  This is OS agnostic as it's a DVD RW issue so, sorry if it is
perceived as OT.

Does anybody have any idea why a DVD RW drive will read a DVD, any DVD
but it does not even register the fact that a CD has been inserted?
After some searching on many hardware tech sites/forums the opposite
seems to be common; where a CD is recognised but a DVD is not.  Trust
me to be awkward :-)

It's a Philips drive (I think, it's not mine) in a Dell tower PC that
is a couple of years old.

The lens is clean and all leads are in place.  I have stripped the
drive down as far as it will go and put it back together.  It still
plays DVDs but not CDs...

Any ideas?

Kevan Farmer

Linux user #373362