[Wolves] orange live box

Alex Willmer Alex at moreati.org.uk
Tue Aug 1 22:00:52 BST 2006

On Tue, 2006-08-01 at 19:25 +0100, Baza wrote:
> For some random reason Orange (Wanadoo) have sent me this, 'Livebox'
> thing. It's a wifi modem and some kind of internet phone gubbins.

I got one of these too, had a look inside. AFAICT, there's also a
bluetooth tranceiver.

> Now, phree evening and weekend phone calls sound good, but I have a
> home mail / web server hooked into a Belkin 54g adsl modem router. Is
> there anyway I can add this livebox thing for the phone, but keep my
> wifi router for my server?

If you mean leaving the Belkin as a gateway and having the Livebox as a
client then it would be tricky. Although it has 2 ethernet ports, I
think you'd need to replace the firmware for it to consider one an
uplink port and act as a DHCP client.

You could use the Livebox as your gateway/wireless router and turn off
the Belkin's dhcp/routing/wireless. This would effectively turn the
Belkin into a four port switch. The chain would go

ADSL <-> LiveBox <-> Belkin <=> Server + 2 spare ethernet ports

Alex