[Wolves] I want to build a website and a blog

Kat Goodwin kat at codepoets.co.uk
Thu Aug 10 07:09:39 BST 2006

Hi,
Jayne Heger wrote :
> My brother wants me to build him a website for his up and coming wedding.
> I hardly have any experience in doing this, I had a personal website years
> ago but haven't done anything since, and its not something I do in my day
> job.
> He wants it pretty quick as well, so considering my lack of experience in
> this area I would like to make it as easy as possible for myself and I think
> having a blog would be cool! :-)
> And also as I do have a very demanding day job I haven't got the time to
> really go to town with this.
>
> Websites that I like are Jono's, and I like Kat and Davids one also.

Our site is built on Drupal, a PHP based CMS (Content Managment System).
There are a few skins for it too.  You can read more about it at
http://drupal.org.

> Where do I start?, he has a name in mind that he wants me to get for him, so
> I need to register a domain name first.
> Then do you know of any good sites that would get me a decent website and
> blog up in a decent amount of time.
> He also uses Windows XP so it has to be something he can administer himself,
> like when he wants to upload photos etc... he is not techy so it has to be
> user friendly.

You can manage drupal almost entirely (entirely once its setup, i think) from the
web browser, so OS is pretty irrelevant.  Its pretty user friendly
although the way content is organised can take a bit of getting used to.
In terms of hosting, I think anything that offers PHP/MySQL would be ok,
but I expect David will reply to this later and correct me if I'm wrong.

(We do, incidentally, offer web hosting, but don't have packages for
this sort of thing and would mostly likely be far more expensive than
people with "off-the-shelf" webhosting packages.)

Hope this helps

Kat