[Wolves] Ubuntu Derivatives

Andy Smith andy at lug.org.uk
Tue Aug 15 05:45:10 BST 2006

On Mon, Aug 14, 2006 at 08:59:50PM +0100, Peter Cannon wrote:
> Now I looked at Ubuntu Lite theres KUbuntu, EdUbuntu etc etc. Offshoots are
> fine but surely this is starting to get a bit stupid now? I remember someone
> on this list telling me two or three years ago that its perfectly legitimate
> to say stick your name on a release 'Cannon-Linux?' but in the long run IMHO
> it starts to have an adverse effect on the Mother Project

What sort of adverse effect were you thinking of?

The only obvious one I can think of is poaching users (and therefore
mindshare), but I think that for every user of (say) Kubuntu that
does not use Ubuntu there is going to be more than one user of
Kubuntu that would never have touched the Ubuntu family were it not
for Kubuntu.  If you see what I mean.

A more ineteresting example may be Red Hat's enterprise offerings
that cost a fortune to be a registered user of, and the host of
clone distributions that are very similar but for free.  I imagine
Red Hat sees them as having an obvious adverse effect of losing them
some small amount of sales.

Of course, the licences that give us our right to use and distribute
FOSS also allows for these derivative distributions.

Cheers,
Andy