[Wolves] Ubuntu Derivatives

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Tue Aug 15 11:18:45 BST 2006

On Tue, Aug 15, 2006 at 09:53:17AM +0100, Peter Cannon wrote:
> Maybe I'm being thick or intransigent I still don't see the need for the
> mushrooming offshoots when the same can be achieved under the one release.
> Choice is good but I wonder if some newcomer who will be reticent enough
> anyway will not be overwhelmed by all these versions that in truth only have
> a slight name change and a different theme/wallpaper?

Hahah. What rubbish.

alan at hactar:~$ sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done

  <snip big list of packages>

0 upgraded, 93 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 74.4MB of archives.
After unpacking 251MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]?

or..

alan at hactar:~$ sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done

  <snip again>

0 upgraded, 151 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 137MB of archives.
After unpacking 401MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]?

I use Ubuntu by the way. To suggest that there shouldn't be all these
derivatives would reduce choice. I know Andy uses Kubuntu, and if there was
no Kubuntu he probably wouldn't use Ubuntu because he doesn't like GNOME.
Similarly if there was only Kubuntu then I wouldn't use it because I don't
like KDE.

Yay choice! \o/

Cheers,
Al.