[Wolves] Ubuntu Derivatives

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Tue Aug 15 11:57:52 BST 2006

On Tue, Aug 15, 2006 at 11:40:32AM +0100, Peter Cannon wrote:
> On Tuesday 15 August 2006 11:17, Alan Pope wrote:
>
> > Yay choice! \o/
>
> Hey I'm not looking for argument I'm looking for a valid reason why there
> needs to be all these offshoots and why the same cannot be achieved from just
> one?

I think I answered that in my last mail. I don't like KDE, Andy doesn't like
Gnome.

> The plethora you gave proves my point. All can be achieved from the one
> release what you have demonstarted is the breadth of package choice which is
> irrelevant in respect of 'why'.

Becuase under KDE, KDE apps integrate well, under GNOME, GNOME apps
integrate well. So if you install kubuntu-desktop you get KDE, KDE Libs and
all the apps that integrate well into KDE.

> I'm trying to understand why there needs to be fifteen versions of the same
> some of which IMO are tenuous to say the least,

There are 3 versions (not including the different architectures), not 15.

> that's not a red rag to a
> bull statement think about it "Christian Ubuntu" please, next I'll be seeing
> TV-Ubuntu! that's not a slur on Ubuntu or its users as I said I like Ubuntu I
> have it loaded on an IBM X20.

God-bothering Ubuntu isn't an "official" release and I seriously doubt it
ever will be. Unless of course there's also Buddubuntu, Allahbuntu (peace be
upon him) and so on to balance out the force.

I fail to see why people get so bothered by all these different distros. I
think it's what makes Linux great. You and I have a distro that we like,
Andy has one he likes.

We all win.

Cheers,
Al.