[Wolves] Ubuntu Derivatives

Jen Phillips jetlaglug at googlemail.com
Tue Aug 15 12:46:44 BST 2006

Choice is very much a double edges sword. It's nice to have lots of
different things to choose from, but it's also confusing.

Choose a distro. Choose a WM/DE. Choose an email client. Choose a web
browser with a huge list of add-ons and plugins. Choose an office suite.
Choose XGL, FTP, SSH. Choose a theme. Choose widget sets and fancy icons.
Choose wallpaper and window decorations. Choose an IM client. Choose a media
player. Choose a text editor and the flame war that goes with it.

I chose something different. I chose Ubuntu.

Film take-offs aside, the Ubuntu way does provide a relatively simple choice
between three different standard set-ups, and takes all the difficulty out
of the choices beyond that. If you want to tweak it to your heart's content,
you can, but most people want it to Just Work with presets that fit what
they want to do. No other distro does this (as far as I'm aware) - they just
leave you with the wonderous and bewildering miriad of choices.

Hugs,

Jen