[Wolves] VMPlayer Etc

Peter Cannon peter at cannon-linux.co.uk
Mon Aug 21 10:07:16 BST 2006

Hi All

I've decided to do a bit of unpaid, unauthorised promotion. VMWare just keeps
getting better and better I don't mean in application although IMO its top
notch what I mean is the 'usability and benefit'.

You don't even need to create your own machines anymore! VM now host a
database of virtual appliances www.vmware.com/vmtn/appliances/ That's where I
got my Debian Sarge from. You'll need the VMPlayer which is free
www.vmware.com

There is both Linux and Windows versions of VMPlayer so everyone is happy the
beauty is say you want to try something out (I'm currently messing with
Covide on Debian and Nagios on SuSE) but you don't want to hose/snot up your
lovely stable install so long as you have say a minimum of 10GB hard drive
capacity somewhere, even a USB drive will do although speed might be an
issue, install the player download the virtual appliance you want and install
away till you fill the virtual machine.

The guest operating system is fully functional you can update, install and
remove, you could stick it on an external LTop HDD drive have one player at
home and one at work and transport it back and forth. I do :)

I currently have 5 virtual appliances at home so in effect that gives me 6
computers 1 being the host and 5 being the guests and the best bit is its
FREE.

--
Regards
Peter Cannon