[Wolves] VMPlayer Etc

Ian Harper idharper at gmail.com
Mon Aug 21 12:08:25 BST 2006

> I would have thought VMServer would be better for you? although I've never
> used it when I read the howto as I understood it wants to partition your
> physical drive which is no use to me.

We have other stuff running on host machine as well - its quite complex so
easier to do vmplayer.

> we also use player to run machines within machines - keeps clients away
> > from special apps/configs, they just run locked down client under player
> > and access it via web browser - saves lots of mistakes by users
> tinkering.
>
> Yeah, excellent, do they run full screen then?

yup with X but only 640x480  resolution as we dont need more than that.

> only problem we have with player version is you cant access a host shared
> > area of disk - hopefull y this will come soon.
>
> Actually I've spoken to people about this on both the player and
> workstation
> versions, I've got it going under workstation on Windows but nearly all VM
> guys advise thaton a Linux system not to use it at present because, in
> their
> words "The technology is not there yet" (Their words not mine)

My main machines are Linux host running vmware workstation with clients
running Linux and windoze and shared drive works on them fine. Just need it
under vmplayer.

ian