[Wolves] Mozilla issue

Adam Sweet drinky76 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 29 14:27:32 BST 2006

--- Jatinder Virdee <jatvirdee at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Can anyone help, ive just upgraded from breezy to
> dapper drake, and i'm
> seeing major performance problems with mozilla.
> Basically when I scroll up
> and down on a webpage its not smooth the scrolling
> keeps jittering, I had 0
> issues when i was running breezy.

I've not encountered this problem and I don't really
know how to tell you what to do to find the problem.

First port of call would be to look at the system
resources tool (I'm sorry I forget what it's called, I
don't have an Ubuntu desktop nearby), this thing that
lets you look at what processes are running and how
much memory and CPU time they are using. See if
Firefox is eating loads of CPU time.

If you can't find the tool I mean, it is the
equivalent of running 'top' on the command line, so
try that instead (q to quit).

Whether or not it is eating CPU time, it doesn't tell
you anything about the cause of the problem. Does this
happen on all websites or just some?

Theres no easy way of working out what the problem is
without getting busy with some kind of debugger or
profiling tool. Try disabling all of your Firefox
extensions and 3rd party plugins and restarting FF.
I've known the Flash plugin make things go weird
before. If things are better, add them back in one at
a time and restart to see which one makes the problem
come back.

Other than that I don't know how to help you I'm
afraid.

Ad

--

http://www.drinky.org.uk