[Wolves] An interesting proposition

James Turner james at turnersoft.co.uk
Tue Dec 5 19:37:20 GMT 2006

On Monday 04 December 2006 20:38, David Morley wrote:
> Today Aq sent me a email saying that Novell had got on to him about
> our lug being  in the http://www.nuinet.com/ .
>
> Basically it looks like the whole ubuntu loco team thing but at lug
> level.  I see some good and bad in this.
>
> 1/ Speakers. good and bad (probably corporate)
> 2/ Free food. good
> 3/ I don't like the term Local User Group on the site that could
> confuse people into thinking that that is what a lug stands for. Bad
>
> Please have a read and carefully consider whether we should put our
> name to this and let me know in replies to this mail.
>
> Yes, join it'll be great.
>
> No, don't do it.

I am not in favour of us joining. To echo opinions which have already been
expressed on this thread:

(1) The LUG's primary linkage to the wider Linux community should be by means
of shared interest in using, promoting and developing Open Source/Free
Software at a grass-roots level, not by affiliation with specific commercial
software vendors. This is at the heart of what the Open Source and Free
Software movements are all about.

(2) We should not be associated with a company whose business practices are
widely perceived as being counter-productive to the interests of the Open
Source/Free Software community, and whose actions seek to ligitimise the
perceived threat to that community from software patents.

Regards,

James