[Wolves] Surprise news

Andy Wootton andy.wootton at wyrley.demon.co.uk
Sat Feb 11 00:50:58 GMT 2006

We had a visitor to the office today from a guy who works on Windows
security at our new, consolidated UK-wide data centre.

I made a general enquiry about how things were going. He said they were
really busy because of the number of "new, stand-alone" applications
that were being installed on Linux boxes. He said it was because of the
high cost of maintaining Windows machines and that most of their
suppliers were starting to tell them that their applications were in the
process of being ported to Linux.

Has the message finally got through to the bar in the golf clubs of the
UK where these things are decided? Our stated policy says we should be
moving the other way.

I still haven't quite got over the shock.

Woo