[Wolves] dns lookup

Stuart Langridge sil at kryogenix.org
Tue Feb 21 16:10:32 GMT 2006

On 2/21/06, Baza <baza at themauvezone.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:
> Is there something in a config file on apache2 that I can, 'turn on'
> that will force a reverse dns lookup so I don't log simple ip address
> rather a full ip name?
>
> I've scanned /etc/apache2/apache2.conf but nothing jumped out at me.

There is, but I recommend that you do the lookups when you need the
information (i.e., when you're parsing the logs) rather than when
you're logging, or you'll turn your machine into treacle doing reverse
DNS on everyone, and people without reverse DNS will have problems
connecting. Most log analysers have the option to do host lookups.

--
sil

<Cl0ckwork> i hate it when explorer crashes, losing my system tray,
and irc is minized to it
<slick> I hate when I kick a dog and then the owner see's me and I
have to kill him