[Wolves] Hooray SuSE is back

Simon Morris mozrat at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 23:04:44 GMT 2006

On 28/02/06, Baza <baza at themauvezone.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:

> On 28 Feb 2006, at 21:58, Peter Cannon wrote:
>
> > Evening All
> >
> > I fixed it :)
> >

> How's Suse looking these days? I've not played with it since 9.1pro.

If you were after a one word answer I would say "promising"

There is loads of good stuff coming out of the Novell guys which is
fed into OpenSUSE but there are also some nasty bugs and some SUSEisms
that I find annoying.

One such bug is that OpenSUSE10 mounts FAT devices with the sync
option which means that writing to iPods, USB disks, Digital cameras
is unusably slow

One such SUSEism is that sudo is shipped to require the root password
and not your own which is just.... weird.

But yeah - it is promising. I attended a presentation tonight by a
Novell guy on App Armor. That looks very promising indeed. SELinux for
the normal people.

--
~sm
Jabber: mozrat at gmail.com