[Wolves] XFree86 3.3.6

Peter Cannon peter at cannon-linux.co.uk
Sun Jan 1 11:03:55 GMT 2006

On Sunday 01 January 2006 02:07, James Turner wrote:

> I'm not a Debian user myself, but can't you "just" add the location of the
> Woody packages to /etc/apt/sources.list then install them with apt-get? (I
> put "just" in quotes in case there is some sort of gotcha that I don't know
> about which makes it really difficult and complicated)

There will be groans all over the West Midlands now :)

Now that I've joined the 21st century and have broad band I thought I'd get my
Digital High Note Ultra II Laptop going again. I've done this a couple of
times before so anyone with a good memory will be groaning "Oh no not again"
I got Red Hat 6.2 running just fine but due to the lockup problem,which is a
known fault on these laptops, the only way to run it was with a PS2 mouse
attached which bugged me.

Its a lovely little thing and I have a modified Debian kernel for it which
fixes the lockup problem so I found this guys site
http://linux.simple.be/debian/floppy and downloaded the floppy's then did a
web based install which was fun took about 12 hours trouble was it was Sarge
and thats turned out to be too good for this machine.

I wiped it and started again, another 12 or so hours later Woody was installed
but X refused to work because its too good at the moment I have the base
system installed plus 'vim'

I know nothing either about Debian I had to chuckle when I did rpm -q XFree86
a couple of times and it kept saying "Unknown command" Doh! its dpkg not rpm
Doh!

Here is a picture of the beast
http://research.microsoft.com/~gbell/Digital/timeline/1994-7.htm

> The file:
>
> http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/dists/woody/main/binary-i386/Packages
>
> lists the packages that make up Woody, and both XFree86 versions 3.3.6 and
> 4.1.0 appear in the list so things look hopeful. I note in your list of
>
> required packages:
> > # apt-get install xserver-xfree86

That is probably an incorrect list I nicked it off the guys site he say that
he loads all the X packages separately so I thought I'd follow his lead I
know I need XFree 3.3.6 but was not sure of the supporting packages so just
copied the list.

> This is the XFree86 4.1.0 server, which has a modular architecture
> supporting multiple graphics card/chip types. Under Version 3.3.6 you had a
> different X sever binary for each different type of graphics card, the
> Debian package for each being having a name of the form
> xserver-<card-name>. I suggest browsing the package list and figuring out
> which one you need.

Hm, I just re-read the instructions I use to get this baby loaded and I may
have misslead everyone its not XFree86 3.3.6 but XFree 3.3.6 if that makes a
difference?

The card is a Chips and Technologies C65548 I cant find the link to the guys
site, I have a printed copy, he says while version 4 is supposedly supported
it wont work hence the drop back to 3.3.6

Hold the phone just found this http://www.fyslab.hut.fi/~jml/hinote/ this guy
reckons he has X working with XFree 4.1.0 I'll have a look.

--
Peter Cannon
peter at cannon-linux.co.uk
www.cannon-linux.co.uk

"If god had meant us to fly he'd have given us wings"