[Wolves] Memory

Kevanf1 kevanf1 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 8 21:43:22 GMT 2006

On 08/01/06, Stuart Langridge <sil at kryogenix.org> wrote:
> > This is possibly a bit of a grandmother and eggs situation but have
> > you tried Memtest on it?
>
> Yes, yes, I know about memtest, everyone who's suggested it. And I've
> run it. And it showed no errors.

Ah, I thought that would have been your first thought.  That's why I
mentioned grandmother and eggs ;-)

However, Colin Watson thinks that the problem is *still* the memory,
since I'm getting segfaults in
> everything in the installer. That's why I want to test it.
>
> Regarding what type of memory it is: no idea. How do I find out? At
> the LUG meeting, someone said that all memory was basically the same.
>
> Aq.

There are differences beyond the obvious parity non parity etc.  There
are different speeds within the designated types - PC100, PC133 etc,
etc  I've come across problems trying to use two PC 100 sticks in the
past.  One was a lower rated speed than the other.  However, in this
case it shouldn't matter 'too' much as you are after a single stick.

I have never come across a decent site on the net yet that has helped
me to identify memory from the serial numbers on it.  But perhaps
somebody knows of an obscure site?

Xmas may be over but,  PLEASE DON'T drink and drive you'll make it to
the next one that way.
Kevan Farmer

Linux user #373362

Cheslyn Hay