[Wolves] Software RAID

Matthew Round roundyz at roundyz.com
Wed Jan 18 15:16:29 GMT 2006

On Wednesday 18 January 2006 13:48, Adam Sweet wrote:
> Hi all
>
> Does anyone here have experience of software RAID? I
> have a machine I would like to RAID, but the onboard
> SATA RAID controller isn't suported by Linux so I
> would like to try software RAID.
>
> I would like to know what the performance is like and
> how easy it is to rebuild an array after a disk
> replacement.
>
> I am also interested to know whether you can RAID the
> whole disk including the boot partition etc, so that
> in the event of a disk failure you can simply replace
> a disk, reboot and the rebuild the array or whether
> you just get to keep the data on the mirrored disk and
> then have to reinstall on the new disk to boot to a
> poitn where you can rebuild the array.
>
> Apologies if this is either obvious or an rtfm, none
> of the tutorials I am reading at the mo seem to
> explain this part. To me you need a booted kernel
> before you can have software RAID, so therefore you
> can't RAID your /boot partition. Maybe I'm
> misunderstanding.
>
> Any explanations or pointers to tutorials which tell
> me what I want to hear will be gratefully received.
> Sadly Ron's RAID talk was too long ago for me to
> remember (Jan 2002?).
>
> Ad

Sorry this might not be much help..But I do use software raid but only
striping not mirroring.

Performance wise its quite good..not as good as a dedicated controller but ti
works great. good for capturing videos, etc.

I set mine up at setup (anaconda) but the command line tools (raidtools I
think..) to do are quite simple to use...

Re-builing the array is quite straight forward. As long as you don't format
the existing raid partitions, They will be recognised on the rebuild.

As for mounting your boot partition I don't think you can.

--
Yours,

Matthew Round

Reply to roundyz at roundyz.com