[Wolves] Google Calendar [ Not Linux specific ]

Simon Morris simon.morris at cmtww.com
Wed Jul 12 10:17:39 BST 2006

On Tue, 2006-07-11 at 20:47 +0100, Andy Wootton wrote:

> I'm now worrying about side-stepping the next monopoly. Does anyone
> know
> how to put a Yahoo Calendar on the Google Desktop and vice versa? Is
> there an opening for a free software desktop (like Google/Yahoo) on a
> web server to give web service provider independence? (What are the |
> Are there any ) standards in this area?

Not entirely related but I read a blog post after GUADEC this year
saying that Gnome should start a web services portal based on Free
Software. So people could subscribe for $5 a month and get some
webspace, blog, photo storage, calendar, mail etc etc and the proceeds
would go back into the Gnome Foundation.

And of course it would solve this nagging issue about
Google/Flickr/Yahoo/eBay holding all of our data plus it would be a
boost to Free Software.

Great idea, but I don't see it happening anytime soon as there are so
many other things to do.

~sm