[Wolves] Calling Ubuntu experts

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Mon Jul 24 15:43:46 BST 2006

On Mon, Jul 24, 2006 at 03:03:12PM +0100, Peter Cannon wrote:
> Hi All
>
> It would seem that this bloody Intranet Server will be my Nemesis.
>
> It now has Dapper on it, I want to get 'Arkeia Smart Backup' working on it,
> now this works on my SuSE box yet on the Ubuntu box I'm getting;
> "This Java Virtual Machine is incompatible A Sun Java 2 Runtime Environment
> 1.4 or 1.5 is required"
>
> Yet Java is bloody installed!!

The wrong one though.

I suspect you have the GNU java implementation GCJ which isn't compatible
with Sun Java 2 JRE 1.4 or 1.5. You need SUN Jre. Thankfully this is
packaged in Dapper, so it's easy to install.

Install the package sun-java5-jre.

You can check what version of java is installed with the "java -version"
command.

alan at hactar:~$ java -version
java version "1.5.0_06"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_06-b05)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.5.0_06-b05, mixed mode, sharing)

If that doesn't work after installing Sun JRE then it's likely that
/etc/alternatives/java is pointing to the "wrong" place.

alan at hactar:~$ ls -l /etc/alternatives/java
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 29 2006-02-05 23:24 /etc/alternatives/java ->
/usr/lib/j2re1.5-sun/bin/java

That's where mine points. I usually just remove all trace of the GCJ based
packages and use the Sun JRE instead which fixes this.

Cheers,
Al.