[Wolves] Deleted dual boot partition

Andrew Lewis andrew at monkeysailor.co.uk
Thu Jul 27 15:18:20 BST 2006

On Thu, 2006-07-27 at 14:59 +0100, Wayne Morris wrote:
> I had a machine set up to dual boot Xp and Redhat, decided I didn't need
> the Redhat partition
> ands used Partition magic to resize the partitions to make 1 big one.
>
> Unsurprisingly the machine won't boot from HDD, saying only 'GRUB'.
>
> Any easy way around this, other than reinstalling windows?
start the xp installation CD and press R to recover when prompted.

Once you get to the windows command line, type:

fixboot
fixmbr

try that.

If it still doesn't work, put the xp disk in, ignore the first recovery
option and press enter to install xp. Then press F8 to accept the
licence. You should now be presented with the option of trying to repair
the existing installation by pressing r. If you press R, you should be
able to recover the partition without losing your data or having to
reinstall completely.

Hope this helps,
Spline