[Wolves] Is the party over for SuSE?

Peter Cannon peter at cannon-linux.co.uk
Sun Jun 4 20:15:23 BST 2006

On Sunday 04 June 2006 09:22, Simon Morris wrote:

> Yes it was actually.

That may explain your stability then, I wonder if it was designed like the
John Harrison Longitude clocks H1-4 they are put together one botch on top of
another. He never fixed them just got the problem part working then did the
same again and again one patch on top of another.

Thats fine for a virgin thing, but when you are doing an upgrade thats adding
another danger into the equation.

> Don't forget they delayed their 10.1 release and broke the 6 month
> cycle on this one.

Oh god yes your absolutely correct and there hangs the thought. I saw the
posts baying for blood because it was delayed you could almost sense the
Novell guys had been backed into a corner which is funny if you think about
it I mean its not as if they'd be breaking some sort of contactrial
obligation if they'd had to announce an 8,9,10 or even 12 month release date.

> I see the problem being a lack of testing before release. I don't
> personally know anyone who tracked the beta releases of 10.1 and built
> the delta ISOs etc.

Yep but that lack of testing was probably to pressure to release it from the
community.

> How many people on this list were testing Sarge or
> Dapper Drake before they were officially released? A few I'd imagine.

Um, me :-S

--
Regards
Peter Cannon