[Wolves] Silly question time.....

Alex Willmer alex at moreati.org.uk
Thu Jun 15 23:53:50 BST 2006

On Thu, June 15, 2006 7:18 pm, David Morley wrote:
> Do you always need the .dev files of libraries when installing an app
> from source?
>
> I am asking because I have only ever needed to install two Jokosher
> and bonfire and both needed dev files to work.

Yes, the dev is short for 'development. For a package foo, foo-dev
contains the headers and static linker files for compiling against foo.

So if you were compiling Jokosher and Jokosher depended on 'foo', for
which you have a package, you must install both foo and foo-dev. As a
sortcut you can install foo-dev and foo will be installed as a dependancy
of foo-dev.

Alex