[Wolves] Using the Mobility Email client under WINE on Linux (for Peter and everyone else who's interested)

Shane M. Coughlan shane at shaneland.co.uk
Mon Jun 19 02:14:55 BST 2006

I have been playing with the Mobility Email client on Linux and I'm
pretty happy with the results (www.mobilityemail.net).

Starting the Mobility Email client is a little sluggish under Linux.
I'm using Ubuntu and the default version of WINE that installs itself
when you ask it to.

I set the Mobility Email client to run under Ubuntu by opening the
Mobility Email folder and right-clicking on the file called 'email.exe.'
 I clicked on the 'Properties' value, selected the 'Open with' tab.  I
clicked 'Add' and typed in 'wine.'  After that it was a simple matter of
clicking the 'email.exe' file whenever I need the Mobility Email client
to start.

Almost everything worked out of the box.  The one interesting exception
was the ability of Mobility Email to check spelling as I typed.  For
some reason every letter was being underlined with red.  I ran the
spell-checker and noticed that in the 'Language' drop-down menu the
'Download More' value was selected rather than the 'English/US'
dictionary.  I changed that selection and spell-checking operated correctly.

Another tiny issue has to do with line-wrapping.  For some reason the
Mobility Email client thinks that the whole width of the screen
constitutes its operation window when you are composing mail.  This
means that line-wraps are rather longer than you might want if you are
using a non-maximized window.  I suspect that this has to do with the
way that WINE is providing API services.

The Mobility Email client under WINE is occasionally sluggish.  As I was
typing the paragraph above the text appeared on the screen up to two
seconds after I wrote it.  This was a temporary condition though, and
has vanished just as unexpectedly as it began.  Some client actions -
like opening a message - are a fraction slower than when running under
Windows.  It can be noticed but it does not really affect work flow.

When the Mobility Email client downloads new mail it is marked as new
and unread but for some reason the text does not look bold.  I'm not
sure why this is.  Nor am I sure why the Mobility Email client text
running under WINE is smaller than Mozilla Thunderbird running native on
Linux.  I had thought that Thunderbird's fonts were a little big, but
it's only when the Mobility Email client appeared and ran with
everything Windows-sized that I realized how different the font sizes
really were.

Overall my little experiment demonstrates that the Mobility Email client
DOES work under Linux and you CAN set it to open automatically.  I'm
very happy with that.  I'll use Mobility Email under Linux for the next
couple of weeks to test reliability and things like that.

Shane

- --
Shane Martin Coughlan
e: shane at opendawn.com
m: +447773180107 (UK) +353862262570 (Ire)
w: www.opendawn.com
- ---