[Wolves] Bringing advanced Free (as in Freedom) technology to Windows platforms

Kevanf1 kevanf1 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 19 10:31:12 BST 2006

On 17/06/06, Shane M. Coughlan <shane at shaneland.co.uk> wrote:

> Kevanf1 wrote:
> > I think it would work if you could use a format that both Linux and
> > Windows could read.  What's the mail directory format that they both
> > can read?  Is it mbox?  I know I was able to swap between Kmail in
> > Linux and Pegasus in Windows using this format.
>
> Mobility Email (and all Mozilla-based stuff) use MBOX.  This allows you
> to transport across different platforms without too many headaches.
>
> > I'm thinking some way of allowing the programs to read the mailboxes
> > from a separate folder.  In this case that folder would be kept on the
> > USB pen drive.
>
> You mean to have two programs?  One Linux and one Windows?  Can you
> elaborate?

Ok, in my my very basic way - I'm certainly no programmer and I have
tried....and failed miserably in the past - I'm thinking of having the
MBOX folders themselves on, for example, a USB key drive.  Could this
then be accessed by a Windows program when fitted to a Win box or a
Linux program when fitted to a Linux box?  Therefore using the same
folders.  I realise that not just any program could be used because of
inconsistencies but certainly Pegasus (Windows) and KMail (Linux) seem
to talk nicely in my experience.  Of course, the Mozilla clients might
be able to do this with no problems either....or am I flying around in
cloud cuckoo land?

Kevan Farmer

Linux user #373362

Cheslyn Hay