[Wolves] PC suppliers

Kevanf1 kevanf1 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 15 22:15:45 GMT 2006

On 15/03/06, Daniel Jones <djones9960 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 15/03/06, Peter Cannon <peter at cannon-linux.co.uk> wrote:
> > On Wednesday 15 March 2006 16:35, Daniel Jones wrote:
> > > I'd shop for the bits online too; it's usually cheaper. (dabs.com)
> >
> > If you can build one cheaper yourself then you had better speak to the 900
> > resellers who went out of business last year due to pressures from the likes
> > of Dell, and PC world (I've even heard of companys buying from ASDA).
>
> Oh gawd.  I'm not talking about the general state of the market.  I'm
> sorry if I gave that impression.  I was talking about the likes of
> PC2000 vs online sellers for bits.
>
> > We ourselves have given up building our own. Please don't try and tell me you
> > can command a better price as an individual when we as a company with bigger
> > buying powers than you cant build them cheaper than Dell.
>
> I'm not.
>
> > I used to use the line you gave of;
> > "Ah well its better to have individual parts everything is on the motherboard
> > with that machine".
>
> That was true for a long while, particularly with the graphics card.
> A lot of mainboards these days though have AGP slots as well as the
> inbuilt stuff.
>
> > That argument cuts no ice anymore the build quality is pretty good these days
> > plus like most people all thats cared about is CHEAP.
>
> True.  But I'd definitely look at like-vs-like.  I'd view most ads
> with suspicion, too; anything not listed almost certainly isn't there.
>
> > Yes my feathers are ruffled!
>
> I can tell; actually, I agree with most of your sentiments.  It's
> annoying that most people will go for inferior product because it's
> cheaper.
>
> The point is, there's a bit more to getting a good machine than cost.
> Someone who has perfectly good knowledge that would allow them to do
> this, IMHO, should do so.  This is why I'm baffled that many people
> who know full well how to build a machine do not do so themselves.
>
> --

Not too long ago I decided to price up a PC both ready built and one I
did myself.  It was purely a thought exercise for fun.  I found a
ready built PC that I would have liked to have.  I made a list of all
the parts and decided to try pricing them up individually.  I used
like for like, exactly the same components, same make where possible.
My self built PC came out very slightly cheaper.  But then I factored
in my time to build it, guarantees etc.  I can see why people do buy
ready made PC's.

I priced a good deal of the components from Ebuyer, by the way who are
possibly the cheapest retailer out there.  I deliberately did not use
eBay because most of the stuff on there is either second hand or
obsolete.

Xmas may be over but,  PLEASE DON'T drink and drive you'll make it to
the next one that way.

Kevan Farmer

Linux user #373362

Cheslyn Hay