[Wolves] Well done for the Government

James Turner james at turnersoft.co.uk
Fri Mar 17 19:57:28 GMT 2006

On Friday 17 Mar 2006 07:14, David Goodwin wrote:
> Ron Wellsted wrote:

> > Take a look at https://secure.gateway.gov.uk/.  at present this is giving
> > me
> >
> > "Directory Listing Denied
> > This Virtual Directory does not allow contents to be listed."
> >
> > for linux/firefox.
>
> likewise. the error message looks similar to Apache2's but netcraft
> doesn't pick out much from it :
>
> http://toolbar.netcraft.com/site_report?url=http://secure.gateway.gov.uk
>
> David.

The problem is not that it isn't working but that this page isn't part of the
site's "official" user interface. It is debatable whether this counts as an
actual bug, but is certainly sloppy practice. If you go to:

http://www.gateway.gov.uk/

Then there are three "deep links" into https://secure.gateway.gov.uk/ (for
Individuals, Organisations or Agents).

Port 80 appears to be firewalled - no packets back from that port. That's why
Netcraft has no information on it. Try port 443 (or https: naming scheme)
instead.

For the interested:

Command "lwp-request -e https://secure.gateway.gov.uk/" reveals that the site
is running Microsoft IIS 5.0, from which it can be assumed that the operating
system is Windows 2000. (The IIS version is tied to the OS version, only
Win2K has version 5.0 to my knowledge.) Netcraft confirms the OS as Windows
2000. Information about the SSL certificate issuer is also returned.

The URLs of the deep links indicate that the web application is written in
ASP.NET, and there is an application is called "Registration" (appears as the
directory name). Running lwp-request on a page in "Registration" reveals the
ASP.NET version to be 2.0.50727. This in turn allows the the .NET Framework
version to be identified as the spanking new 2.0 (see:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.NET_Framework for version number link-up info).

The style of coding, lack of tell-tale meta-data and the fact that the login
pages don't look like complete pigs ears are suggestive that the HTML/CSS
layout was not created using Visual Studio's GUI page designer. (At least
based on the last version I had the misfortune to use in VS.NET 2002)

Regards,

James