[Wolves] one for you apache experts

Alan Pope alan.pope at gmail.com
Sun Mar 26 22:31:09 BST 2006

On 26/03/06, Baza <baza at themauvezone.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:
> OK, here's my problem. Someone has put a link to my blog on a site I
> would not want to be associated with.

As them to remove it?

Just becuase someone links to you doesn't make them associated with
you. I have linked to Microsoft on my blog, doesn't mean I like them.
A link is just that, a link, it's not a ringing endorsement of the
target site.

> I'm running apache 2 on my webserver, is there some way to block
> traffic from this referrer, so when they hit the link there my server
> refuses their request?

You could, but you're doing your own little bit to break the web.
Refusing inbound requests based on referrers seems like a sledgehammer
to crack a nut. Whilst it is possible with mod_rewrite, it's not
pleasant and not foolproof. All someone has to do is copy the link and
paste it into a browser rather than click it. Or they could use one of
the many browser extensions that disable referrers, so you wouldn't
know they were coming from this other site.

That said I have used mod_rewrite to stop people leaching large
pictures off my gallery from other sites such as avatars in forums.

Cheers,
Al.