[Wolves] sound advice

Adam Sweet drinky76 at yahoo.com
Wed May 3 12:35:20 BST 2006

--- Rob Annable <rob at annable.co.uk> wrote:

> I've got an old PIII 500 that I'm going to stick
> Ubuntu on for the
> kids. It needs a sound card and I was planning to
> get an old one from
> ebay.

Computer fair - £3 tops.

> Does anyone have any advice on brands to avoid? I
> don't want to be
> faffing about with missing drivers.

Check the ALSA soundcard matrix for supported cards:

http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/

> Or am I too pessimistic and almost all sound cards
> are no problem these days?

I dunno. I haven't had a problem with any of my cards
in the last few years, but I have in the past. It
would be easier to know what card you were going to
get in advance so you could check the ALSA matrix.

I have a Creative Labs Soundblaster Live 5.1 on a
recommendation and it works great. I got it brand new
for about £12 or something as an OEM item.

I have a bunch of old ISA soundcards, I guess I could
take a look at what they are and whether they are
supported but I'm not sure how I'd get one to you
short of posting. You could probably buy one for the
cost of postage or driving.

Ad

--

http://www.drinky.org.uk