[Wolves] "Proprietary Linux will be king within a very short time" (was CACert)

Daniel Jones djones9960 at gmail.com
Mon May 8 13:11:37 BST 2006

On 08/05/06, Peter Cannon <peter at cannon-linux.co.uk> wrote:
> On Monday 08 May 2006 11:06, Daniel Jones wrote:
>
> > I can assume this matter is closed then?
>
> Yep, too busy making money out of it anyway :)

That's cool.

> > So we can agree to disagree?  (I will if you will)
>
> Don't understand? theres nothing to disagree on? everything I and others have
> posted has been based on facts!

Ah, so it isn't actually cool.  ::sigh::

Fine.

There certainly is lots we can agree on. It's certainly possible to
make money out of OSS.  I've done so myself.  This is something that,
however hard you try, you will not be able to prove I denied, because
I didn't.

You've been to one talk (and I'm sure it /was/ interesting and
informative, and I'm not knocking it; I wouldn't be able to even if I
wanted to, I wasn't there) but that does not make you an expert on the
GPL.  However good the talk was, it would have been a synopsis and it
wouldn't have been possible to cover the whole document.

> Over the years on this list I hopefully have built up a reputation of being
> more than ready to admit my mistakes and apologise On-List when I have been
> wrong,

Unfortunately, it usually takes more than a little while to get you to
that point though.

 to me that is the mark of a man being able to stand up and say "Yes I
> f%$£ed up sorry". My comments regrading Open Source & Free have all been
> based on fact my observations regarding paying for, as an example, Ubuntu are
> purely fiction. If I could see into the future I'd be buying lottery tickets
> now.

It is not the (frankly IMHO mistaken) remark about Ubuntu which provoked my ire.

What wound me up was summed up by:
"Once you have them by the balls their hearts and minds will follow"

The idea that there's some inevitability that Linux is somehow doomed
to be run by suits, even if that's true (and I don't think it is) is
actually pretty offensive.  The impression that you were looking
forward to it (and I apologise if I read that wrong) just added to it.

If that ever happened, I'd run across to BSD quicker than you can say
'fast buck'.

So would a lot of others, I'm sure.  Some of them might even be able to code!

--
Dan