[Wolves] I been asked a wierd question.

Andy Smith andy at lug.org.uk
Wed May 24 11:45:33 BST 2006

On Wed, May 24, 2006 at 11:24:07AM +0100, David Morley wrote:
> Can you rout all emails from a network through one machine in order to
> be able to view whats going on.  I said yes set up a mail server but
> he wants to be able to veiw the mails in something like outlook
> express.  Strictly monitoring purposes not content.  He wants to be
> able to view addresses etc I said just view the log files or setup a
> cron job to print the log files .

I think you are correct that just reading the log files to see who
mails who and when would be best if that is all he requires.

Alternatively, most FOSS mail servers I am familiar with can be
configured to BCC a copy of all mails to another address for
archival purposes.  A delivery filter like procmail could then be
used to strip out all the body content.

I am not aware of a FOSS mail server that has built in facility for
Outlook to connect to it and get a list of from/to/subject headers.

Cheers,
Andy

--
http://strugglers.net/wiki/Xen_hosting -- A Xen VPS hosting hobby
Encrypted mail welcome - keyid 0x604DE5DB