[Wolves] I been asked a wierd question.

Peter Cannon peter at cannon-linux.co.uk
Wed May 24 12:04:16 BST 2006

On Wednesday 24 May 2006 11:50, Andy Smith wrote:

> Be aware, I was under the impression that you can leave yourself
> open to legal action if you monitor activity without informing your
> employees.  A computing policy saying that the facilities are for
> work purposes only and that activity is monitored is probably
> enough, but many places don't even have that.  In any case consult a
> legal professional if you think you may end up collecting and using
> this info formally.

Any decent company should have some form of policy in place even if its just a
line in your letter of employment saying "Misuse of company property will
result in disciplinary action" should surfice as an employer is entitled then
to gain evidence by whatever means to prove misuse.

I'm not a great fan of snooping, I take the view if you cant trust someone to
do the job they are paid to do. Get Rid Of Them! and I have on occasion.

Once the trust has gone you can never get it back.

--
Regards
Peter Cannon
Jabber:highwayman.turpin at gmail.com