[Wolves] subversion

David Goodwin david at codepoets.co.uk
Sun May 28 07:53:18 BST 2006

Andrew Lewis wrote:
> Since I am disinclined to rattify the unsolicited claims of
> perspecatious verbosity(sic) against my name, I will keep it to the point:
>
> Should I be using subversion for the scanner?

yes

subversion can run over webdav (http://server/repository/path/to/file)
and/or you can use trac - http://trac.edgewall.com (i think).

> Why is subversion good, and what should I know about it?

it versions directories (unlike CVS), can work over webdav (so
http://server/svn/repository/src/foo.c works), is better engineered,
more bandwidth friendly, branches/tags are easier to understand, you can
have meta data associated with a file/directory (e.g. permissions,
arbitary stuff etc). It's well tested, good security track record etc.
(When you see one of the ex-maintainers of CVS state how dodgy the CVS
codebase was/is[1], you realise it's probably not a good idea to use it)

Do I need to go on?
(http://subversion.tigris.org)

> bear in mind that the scanner code is small, portable and written in
> python.

Yes, regardless. Move over. I assume you're using CVS already, in which
case you'll notice a marginal improvement in your life. If you're not
using _anything_, then you'll find it helps greatly with development.

David.
</subversion bigot>

1: Somewhere in http://producingoss.com/ i think

--