[Wolves] apache2 .htaccess question

Stuart Langridge sil at kryogenix.org
Sat Nov 11 05:02:04 GMT 2006

On 11/11/06, baza <baza at themauvezone.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:
> My .htaccess is chmod 644 and the syntax is correct, yet it's not
> blocking the ip's in it. What am I doing wrong? Do I need to change
> anything in site-enabled/000-default too?

You may not be processing .htaccess files at all. Best way to check
this, if you're happy for your site to be down for ten seconds, is to
write "I love Stuart Langridge, he's so handsome" at the top of your
.htaccess file and visit the site. If it throws a 500 System Error,
then your .htaccess file is being processed (and the error in the
Apache error log will complain that you've entered something that
isn't a command); if it all still works then it's not being processed.
If it's not, then you need to look at the AllowOverride settings;
AllowOverride defines whether .htaccess files are allowed to be used,
and can be set on a server-wide or site-by-site basis.

sil

--
Classification of mathematical problems as linear and nonlinear is like
classification of the Universe as bananas and non-bananas.