[Wolves] Coder breaking

chris procter chris-procter at talk21.com
Tue Nov 28 10:16:36 GMT 2006

--- Ron Wellsted <ron at wellsted.org.uk> wrote:

> A couple of points:
>
> 1/ are we certain these are decimal numbers?
>
> Scanning the string there are NO nines, thus it
> could be in base 9, so
> if the +4 rotation is correct we would have to do
> modulo arithmetic in
> the correct base.  This could be base 9 or 10.
>
> 2/ Should it be read left to right?
>
> working on the principal of pairs we get
> 82 26 20 14 35 14 31 02 04 22 57 32 24 14 31 04 17
> 18 10 18 54 62 25

When you read it left to right then 19 out of 23 of
the digraphs begin with a 0-3 which puts them in a a=1
.. z=26 area (plus numbers), whereas if you read the
stream right to left then only 9 out of 23 fall in
that area with the other 14 in the 4-8 range and with
a much flatter distribution. Which implies that we are
reading them the right way round.

An interesting point is that the digraphs that fall
outside the 00-39 range fall at positions 1,10,20 and
21 which seems quite regular so they could be control
characters or checksums (the "62" at position 21 is an
oddity that may be padding or perhaps combined with 20
makes CRLF).

There are a number of other patterns in there as well
that give me a good feeling about pairs and this not
being that complicated a code (once we understand it
obviously!), the number 14 appears 3 times ('e'
possibly?) and '14 31' appears twice ('es' or 'et'?)

Of course it could be 1024bit PGP encoded and any
patterns are just an illusion brought on by boredom
and wishfull thinking :)

chris