[Wolves] Cable modems and NTL

Alex Willmer alex at moreati.org.uk
Sat Oct 7 17:39:44 BST 2006

On Sat, October 7, 2006 2:27 pm, Kevanf1 wrote:
> Please, can somebody enlighten me.  Is it possible to use a third
> party cable modem on a NTL cable broadband line?  I have been told
> that NTL do not allow this.  If this is the case then how come so many
> Linksys cable modems are sold?  Can they be used on other cable
> broadband networks such as Telewest?

I've never heard of Linksys selling cable modems. When I was with Telewest
I used the supplied cable modem. It provided an ethernet uplink, which
allowed me to plug in a Linksys WRT-54G broadband router.

If the NTL modem is half decent, it should provide both a USB and ethernet
uplink. If so, you can plug a broadband router into it, which will allow
multiple computers to connect at once.

Alex