[Wolves] Meeting room

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Mon Sep 4 11:57:19 BST 2006

On Sun, Sep 03, 2006 at 11:15:45PM +0100, Jono Bacon wrote:
> My personal views are that we should not meet in a meeting room, but
> meet in a quiet pub where people can have a drink and a bite to eat.
> This is why we have met in restaurants previously. The problem with
> meeting rooms is that they are usually quite quiet and lack some
> atmosphere.

It never ceases to amaze me how different all the UK LUGs are. Some - like
yours - appear to be mostly social affairs. Meeting in a pub or curry house
is common.

Others (Such as Surrey and Hants LUGS) have no formal "social" (read: Pub)
meets at all. We (Hants) used to have them alternate months on a Saturday
with a "Bring a Box" or "installfest" on the other Saturday. We found that
the pub meets were very quiet, not having enough people who wanted to travel
a long way to sit in a pub.

Part of this is down to the geography - Hampshire is a big county, part is
that the meets happen on a Saturday, and part I guess is just that some
people don't like pubs :)

There's some hardcore socialites who do go out for curry / beer after the
meet - but that's only ever a maximum of ten people or so, usually less.
Given the meetings can have up to 40 people in attendance that's not bad I
guess for a membership of 200+.

I'm not saying any LUG does it "better" than another, in fact I think it's
great that each LUG does their own thing that's best for them.

I'll stop babling now..

Cheers,
Al.