[Wolves] LAN instant messaging

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Tue Sep 5 11:00:23 BST 2006

On Tue, Sep 05, 2006 at 10:51:47AM +0100, daveh wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I need to set up a system whereby 3 computers on a LAN can send on
> screen messages to a fourth computer. The four machines are on the same
> LAN but are stand alone machines other than that.
> Is there a way of doing this without having to install and configure a
> jabber/irc server?

Is this messaging in the traditional Instant Messenger sense? People talking
to eachother?

Or is it some kind of computer-to-computer chat system that humans don't
need to interact with?

Either way, use an external IRC server if you don't want to set one up?

You can easily register a private channel on most irc networks and keep it
entirely to yourself. I have a private channel that I'm in with a dozen or
so other like minded people and it has worked well for around 3 years now.

Cheers,
Al.