[Wolves] LAN instant messaging

Adam Sweet drinky76 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 6 10:07:22 BST 2006

--- James Turner <james at turnersoft.co.uk> wrote:

> > For Windows, there was a simple MS chat program I
> remember using at
> > school. It was on NT 4.0, and must have used some
> sort of local network
> > broadcast, but in recent years I was unable to
> find a reference to it.
>
> It was called WinPopup, and was included on Windows
> for Workgroups 3.11,
> Windows NT and the Windows 9x series. It is not
> included with Windows 2000
> and later although the old version could probably be
> copied onto the machine
> and still work. WinPopup worked using the NetBIOS
> "Messanger" service. On
> receiving machines that are not running WinPopup,
> received messages were
> displayed as error boxes instead.
>
> Amusingly, there was no requirement or provision to
> authenticate with the
> receiving machine in order to send it a message,
> which led to the messenger
> service being widely used to pop-up eroneous
> messages on people's screens.
> (E.g.: "Your computer is infected with a virus.
> Please download the antidote
> from http://www.spyware-worms-r-us.com/" and the
> like.) Microsoft's
> recommended solution: Disable the messenger service.
>
> The (Windows) command-line equivalent to send a
> message is "net message" (if I
> recall correctly... or was it "net send"... or
> something-or-other starting
> with "net").

It's net send:

net send <machine netbios name> "<message>"

Quotes used to escape the spaces in the message.

I remember with a huge grin on my face doing an Excel
practical exam at college and one of the other kids
finished early and surreptitiously sending his mate on
the next PC a message using net send.

A split second later, an error dialog popped up on the
other kids PC in the middle of the exam that said,

"Mr Waka, you have been found to be illegally
downloading pornographic material using the college
computers. Your IT access rights will be revoked
immediately and you must attend room $some_room_number
at the next break to discuss the disciplinary action
that you will face. The college authorities consider
this to be a very serious offence."

The kid stood up in the middle of the exam gesturing
at his PC and shouted "WHAT THE FUCK???". The whole
class cracked up as we knew what the other kid was
doing. Lecturer less than impressed.

Oh. Gone off topic...

Ad

--