[Wolves] IMPORTANT, ALL READ: Making the LUG rock

Adam Sweet drinky76 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 6 10:27:13 BST 2006

--- David Morley <davmor2 at gmail.com> wrote:

> As a plus to Jono's mail I think it is important
> that we update the
> aging wiki/website.  Has anyone actually seen it
> recently.

Having gone through shades of rage, yawning and
ignoring this thread, this is something I agree with.
Annable the Cannibal has done a good job of holding
this together despite the onslaught it has faced over
the last 18 months of so, but we have to admit that as
the primary source of information linked via our front
page, it's in a shocking state in so much as it's
covered in spam, looks ugly (IMO) and I don't seem to
be able to log in or create an account.

Compare and contrast to Hants LUG Wiki:

http://www.hantslug.org.uk/cgi-bin/wiki.pl

which contains acres of stuff (admittedly they do have
a lot more members than us).

Now, I know it's contrary to the idea of a Wiki, but
is there no wiki that allows us to lock it down,
require approval for account creation and require an
account for editing?

I know that we've had this discussion before and a lot
of people think that there's no need to have such a
thing as the information is available elsewhere and
thats fine, but I think we also have a bunch of people
who are interested enough to do this, including
myself, Morley and I think Woo and others spent some
time adding stuff.

I might even be able to host it here at work, though I
can't confirm,  which I guess defaults me to being the
admin. My boss wants me to set up a LR mirror and I
could put it on there or on my own box that I have in
the rack.

Thoughts and objections required.

Side note, it would be nice to have link to the
mailing list archives on the website front page.

Ad

--

http://www.drinky.org.uk

http://blog.adamsweet.org