[Wolves] Re: Wolves Digest, Vol 155, Issue 5

rob the.lock.keeper at ukonline.co.uk
Sat Sep 16 21:52:03 BST 2006

> Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 14:25:35 +0100
> From: "David Goodwin" <gingerdog at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [Wolves] New Linux User
> To: "Wolverhampton Linux User Group" <wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk>
>
> > should be doing something on the command line.  The modem should work
> > because I've had it working on an older machine using Fedora Core.  Any
>
> Right click on the gnome panel -> Add to Panel -> Modem Monitor (just
> over half way down)
>
> Then right click on the icon, and go to preferences....
>

> It works fine for my in-laws who are totally computer illiterate.
>
> thanks
> David.

Thanks David (and all others on list who have given advice on this...)

I did try this and it worked.  However, I have changed my mind about using
ubuntu - I had a problem with GRUB and was struggling a bit with
synaptic/apt/dpkg etc.

I was lucky enough to pick up a boxed copy of SUSE 10.0 at a car boot sale
recently for a fiver (with text book).  I have a few textbooks on Fedora Core
at home (which should help on how to install rpm packages) and a "Linux in
easy steps" book which seems to concentrate on SUSE.  Also, the extra
packages I had with SUSE made it worth while changing my mind (I play guitar
and like to tinker a bit with music software - so the multimedia bits &
pieces will be fun to fiddle with).

So far, no problem.  I have installed SUSE, used Kinternet to connect to the
internet and rigged up e-mail.  I am now using Kontact as my replacement for
Ms Outlook.  This has a few minor features I wanted that I couldn't find in
evolution.  Installing Gnucash using YAST was a breeze - but I had to change
from K desktop to Gnome to find it.  So I'm now using Gnome.

I have to say that I am happy with the choices that SUSE has given me (that
ubuntu wouldn't have).  However, I still recommend ubuntu as a no fuss easy
first install that is stable and powerful etc...  I have passed on some
copies (including live discs) to a few IT literate friends (who are used to
Ms Windows) and they seem suitably impressed.

So there you have it.  I'm ready to "Rock 'n' Roll" with Linux.  This has been
a steep learning curve so far (but I like a challenge!).  I'm sure that there
are a few ubuntu devotees on list who disagree with a few things I've said
but, in the end, this setup works for me at the moment.  What seems to me to
be so great about Linux (& other open source software in general) - are the
choice and ability to customise (provided you are prepared to roll your
sleeves up and get stuck in!).  Not to mention the free software!  I feel
this is a great community to join.  I may take from it for now - but will
give later on (by encouraging more people to use open source software and
maybe helping in other ways here on this list a few years down the line).

Anyway - gotta go (sorry about the long post!).

See you soon

Rob