[Wolves] Testing seahorse/enigmail combo

Chris Fox chris at robotninja.net
Sat Aug 18 16:57:02 BST 2007

Ron Wellsted wrote:
> Peter Evans wrote:
>> On Friday 17 August 2007 15:38:17 Dave Morley wrote:
>>> After Ron's talk I too have set up a Key and am wondering if a fortnight
>>> is enough time for everyone coming to the next meeting to have keys ready?
>> I didn't come to the meeting, so please forgive me if this was answered at the
>> time.
>
>> But I'd like to know what was said that has people suddenly interested in
>> setting up and using G-PGP?
>
> Probably my fault.  Might be something to do with my assertion that
> "plain text email is as secure as a postcard written in pencil"

Just to take things a little further, I discovered that in my rush to
get my email client configured when I installed it, I forgot to set up
secure connections to and from my mail servers. Have got that all set up
now.

I don't know about other ISPs but Orange Broadband don't seem to offer
secure access to their mail servers (incoming or outgoing). The fact of
their terrible webmail client notwithstanding, I've had no issues with
1&1's mail service (£0.69 a month!) which provides SSL access with IMAP4
(haven't checked POP3 but I'd imagine it's the same) and TLS with SMTP.

Regards,

Chris